Friday, October 07, 2005

talons, weddings, and canes

Apparently, the rain in China falls mainly on Hangzhou. Actually, I love the rain, so no worries. It gives my world a cozy autumn feel. Unfortunately though, it also makes me tai lazy! School starts up tomorrow. Though we had the week off, we have to make up the classes this weekend. Weird beard, that is a Chinese holiday for you. I've decided to Xiao Mao to the vet (maybe today if the rain lets up). She/he needs his/her shots and, furthermore, she is causing complete disasters on my blue fake-leather couch. Personally, I could care less, but I am fairly sure there is something in my contract about not destroying my furniture. So, I am afraid she will by talon-less soon. I hate to do that to her/him, especially in China. I mean I would never submit my child to surgery in China......who knows if they will even put her/him to sleep.........but, fortunately, Xiao Mao is my cat, not my child.....so......farewell talons............... Seth made the call to the vet for me. It was a rather hilarious event ("claw" isn't exactly something you learn in basic Chinese) he paced my living room saying "zhao" over and over in different tones, the whole time making claws with his hands as if the woman on the phone could see.....I think he finally got the message across. I suppose we will see.
There are some other teachers visiting us for the week from a little town (by little town I mean only 1.5 million) about 3 hours from Hangzhou. They have been rather blown away by the convenience of Hangzhou. Watching their awe has helped to remind me how really lucky I am to live in this city, though I complain like a broken record, it really is a great place to live......there is an ancient Chinese poem..."Above there is heaven, below there is Hangzhou and Suzhou..." so I'm pretty lucky. Yesterday, Mary (one of the the teacher's that works here daughter) and I took one of the Winling teacher's for lamb kebabs and Muslim onion flatbread. On the way home, a bent old woman with a cane blocked our path, begging for money. We made to go passed her and she straightened up and began running after us with her cane raised trying to intercept our path. We laughed about that one for awhile...we'd never seen such a miracle.
Happy birthday week to ANDY Wommack (22) and happy wedding week to KRISTIN Stonebraker and BRIAN Gillenwater....I wish I could be a present bridesmaid rather than absentee

No comments: