Saturday, April 15, 2006

The story of the resurrection......according to Cammie

Exactly one week after Xiao Mao's death, I was on my way to a Saturday afternoon of coffee and a traditional shadow puppet play, when I was distracted from my concentrated crutch-walking by something moving......it was something with a tail....the women who work the reception desk for the foreigners' apartment building were playing with a kitten. A tiny, tiny kitten. A gray, tiny tiny kitten. Jane instinctively covered my eyes (my hands were full of crutches) and Wang Jie (one of the receptionists) scooped up the kitten to hide it in the shed (to protect the sensitive and emotionally-frazzled foreigner). Before she had a chance, I called out to her to stop. I wanted to see the little cat. I figured someone was visiting with it, or it was one of the other tenant's.
"Whose is she?" I asked, holding her fuzzy little body close. "No one's," she replied, "She doesn't have a mother."
"Where did you find her?" I asked. "The dumpster," Wang replied, pointing toward the back of the building.
I knew in a moment that there was no question. I had planned especially NOT to get a new cat, especially not a kitten, especially before I decided if I was staying in China or not, but this little cat had been found in the very dumpster I had left Xiao Mao in one week before. AND it is Easter. There was really no choice. Xiao Mao has been resurrected. (the real question, my sister says, is whether or not the dumpster lid was opened or closed......) I never took the whole "9 lives" thing literally.....but.......

No comments: