Monday, August 29, 2005

feeling helpful?



These pictures were taken by my Chinese friend Zheng Si Si while she was in Lhasa. She visited Dickey Orphanage (Dickey means happiness in Tibetan) where a Tibetan woman who owned a teahouse decided to start an orphanage for Tibetan children in 1991. In the past 14 years the number of orphans she supports has swelled from 12 to 81. Unlike most orphanages in China, the Dickey Orphanage is privately owned, so despite their poverty, the owner works hard to make sure these children get an education and experience a loving environment. Zheng Si Si said she was surprised by how joyful and outgoing the children were as a result of their caring upbringing. These orphans are still supported only through the money the teahouse (also pictured with the blue sign: The Snowland Happiness Teahouse) brings in which around 200 kuai a day, or about 25 dollars. Otherwise, it relies on the donations of Tibetans, Chinese and foreigners. Upon her return to Hangzhou, Zheng Si Si has been working to drum up donations of clothing and money for these children. I thought I would mention it to my faithful blog-readers, in case anyone feels like helping out or knows anyone that would like to help out. So, if you are interested in helping, or know someone who is interested in helping (maybe a great cause for a hall activity, sorority, fraternity, church group or any other helpful organization or individual) please let me know (via email or phone, not posting, please). I also have some more pictures of the orphanage, teahouse and individual children if you are interested.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I visited the orphanage in mid July with my OAT trvel group. I was disturbed by what I saw.

There didn't appear to be anyone in charge. The children were dirty and many of them appeared sick. As much as I tried to give the orphanage the benefit of the doubt, I couldn't get past the fact that by any measure these kids were not being cared for in any meaningful way.

Anonymous said...

I spent three weeks there this summer with about 10 other volunteers. The children are kind, eager to learn, and care for eachother immensely. I believe that is a direct result of the care they get at the orphanage.

Travel Tibet Guide said...

We has just established a charity program "Dickey Orphanage Fund". We will make donations to the Dickey Orphanage in your names. Every booking of a Tibet travel will create an automatic $10 (USD) donation to the orphanage.