Friday, August 26, 2005

i'm not creative enough to think of a title right now

I had the most amazing wake-up call this morning. My parents decided to have a little party with veggie pizza (ah, my favorite) and chocolate and invite some friends (my friends) over to call me. I was too suprised! Aren't they great parents and friends? Yes, the are. So I spent several hours this morning talking to my Aunt Jane, Susan Tharp, Corrine, Christy, Emily and my mom and dad. It was absolutely the best morning a person could ever have. I was afraid when everyone hung up that I would be a wee bit depressed, but I was actually inspired and I ventured out to explore this crazy place on my bike. Unfortunately I am a little dangerous on my bike, but I managed to stay alive. The sidewalks here are not just for people walking--they are for people, bikes, pets, farm animals, mopeds, vendors, cars, taxis and the occasional bus--sometimes I think the street is safer than sidewalk! In the long run, I did cause one small bicycle accident--but it actually wasn't on account of my horrible cycling techniques--someone just decided to stop watching where they were going to turn around and stare at the foreigner riding a bike (what?????? white people can ride bikes too???????) and there for ran smack into some man intersecting her path. Ha. Now she knows that staring at foreigners is not productive. But, in my cycling I discovered the bamboo forest, which is exactly what is sounds like, and the shortest route to West Lake (the site that makes Hangzhou famous).
I am having a problem for which I would love some helpful advice. I am having trouble trying to balance my life here with my life in America. It seems that I want to find things here, food, music, friends, housing appliances that mimic my life at home. I want to email, blog, write letters, and talk on the phone with my community at home b/c I still want to be a part of that life. But, I am in China. I haven't come all this way just to duplicate my life at home as closely as possible. But, at the same time, I can't just start a new Chinese life--I'm not strong enough and the people at home are too important. So, where does that leave me? In a dither of dichotomous tension--I need balance, but I am having trouble finding it! Suggestions and monetary gifts are welcome.

No comments: