Thursday, August 04, 2005

tis the season for altitude sickness

I've made it to China, not only China, but Tibet. Of course, its brilliant. It is everything I remember it to be and more. This time. however, my company is different. Instead of Ann and Amanda, I am the only one under 60 in our group of 8. Ha. It makes me laugh, just about constantly. Unfortunately, this being our first day here, they all. except Ann have altitude sickness and are needing oxygen. Oh boy. It is also raining, so I figured I'd spend some time catching up on email. Tomorrow Ann and I are going to the Jookan temple (the most holy in all of Tibet) to meet our friend-monk from last year (anyone remember the-Tibetan-karaoke-in-the-monk-rec-room-drink-Coke-out-shot-glasses-with-strawberries-on-them story from last year?) Anyway, he is hopefully going to take us to the temple's "room of broken things" where a broken bell is that was cast hundreds of years ago in Italy for a Catholic church in Tibet and was then stolen during a war and was used in the Jookan temple to wake Buddha up every morning until it broke. It should be exciting. After that we are going to do a little village trekking. I would love to hear how all of you are doing. I'm thinking about you and missing you!!

1 comment:

Susan said...

come visit the new, updated, link-filled blog for updates. :)

by the way, i think i'd like to hear the Tibetan-karaoke-in-the-monk-rec-room-drink-Coke-out-shot-glasses-with-strawberries-on-them story someday.